Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Music as a source of inspiration

I have always been a fan of Zain Bhikha. His music is very soothing and inspirational. The best thing though is his humility and down to earth attitude. He is probably one of the Muslim world's biggest stars and icons

Yet I saw an entirely different side to him today. I saw him move an audience made up of entirely non Muslims singing (and even dancing) with him as he crooned his timeless classics mainly Muslim and South African songs. It was amazing for me to see him spread more information about Islam than any talk or conference I had been to. Some of the people I had seen moments ago being engaged in heated discussion about aspects of Islam with people outside the door, yet, this had all been forgotten .

As Zain sang songs in praise of God and His Final Prophet (Peace and Blessings be Upon Him), the audience followed suit, singing in tune with him.

At that moment, I realised that the power of music (and entertainment) such as what Zain was promoting was needed in order to break the walls of ignorance, promote dialogue and help with understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment